Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cod Poached on Spinach Over Rice

I would like to eat more of a Mediterranean diet which includes lots of fish.  Even though we live in New England, fish is expensive.  Today's fresh cod is exactly eight times more expensive than the split chicken breasts.  $8 per pound, vs $1 per pound.  And then one must determine if the type of fish has too much mercury, and whether it is sustainable.  How do you know if that fish at the market is line caught, or wild caught? whether it is North Atlantic or Pacific?  Whether it is farmed in China next to a toxic computer waste facility or farmed in Alabama next to a pig farm?  It's difficult to stick to a politically correct diet.  Anyhow, here's some cod:

Easy!
Get out the frying pan/skillet,
Put in a couple pats of butter and some olive oil
Chop an onion and saute for 2 or 3 minutes - a little garlic won't hurt
Add 3/4 cups rice and stir until the rice is coated with oil
Add a scant 1 & 1/2 cups water and a little salt - bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer
Place washed spinach on top of the rice (about 3/4 bag - two handfuls or so to cover the rice)
Place 1 pound of cod fillets (or other mild fish) cut into pieces, on top of the spinach
A little salt and pepper, a few slices of lemon
Cover and simmer until the rice is cooked about 12-15 minutes.
Dinner's Ready - in less time than an episode of Rachel Ray.

Butter, oil, onion, rice, water

 Put the spinach on top

 Put the cod on top of the spinach, simmer until the rice absorbs the liquid.

 Serve hot.

10 comments:

Cubby said...

This looks great. We have poached fish all the time. I can't wait to try this.

M. Pierre said...

yumm. never thought of poaching fish over rice and spinach, so i was anxious to try it. all i had was some perch fillets, but i did have rice and fresh spinach without having to go out to the grogery. i tried this with a little lime and mexican seasonings added.. down here in Texas!
it was great i really liked the consistancy of the spinach and the perch was perfectly cooked. thanx so much for a clever and easy tasty recipe!!

Frank said...

Thanks, Monsieur Pierrre,
I am an impatient cook, so like to try things that get me where i'm going quickly. Glad you liked it. I like the lime and seasoning touch...alter the seasoning to individual taste...it's all good.

Russ Manley said...

M.P. raved about your recipe last night on the phone, has promised to make it next time we eat together. Sounds scrumptious.

word verif: ressolli. Think I had that once at Macaroni Grill, you got a recipe for that?

Frank said...

I don't have that recipe, but I promise to invent it, just for you!

Russ Manley said...

Hey Frank, the ex-roommate came over Thursday and made your fish dish, and OMFG! It was fabulous. So simple but so good, we both say MILLE GRAZZI for this delightful dish.

I just posted a little photo spread of the meal on my blog. Did you come up with this method of cooking the fish over the rice and spinach yourself, or is that an old Italian method? It sure turns out great, I totally loved it.

Frank said...

Prego/Thanks, Russ and roomie,
- I don't ever remember seeing the method anywhere - not to say no one's ever done it before. I just put the idea together - cooking rice makes steam, which will cook spinach and fish....let's try it. I like to experiment with cooking shortcuts. Glad you enjoyed it.

Russ Manley said...

Well that was sure a stroke of culinary genius on your part; makes an awesome dish, mmm-mmm-GOOD!

dave said...

I gotta try this - the hubster will love it - and thanks to the Head Trucker for pointing out your blog.

Frank said...

Dave,
Thanks and Welcome.