Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chicken Soup

Today we had homemade chicken soup for lunch.  Always good on a cold winter day.
Chicken soup with pastine, (little star shaped pasta).
Chicken soup is no big deal.  If you can boil water, you can make soup.  We're not talking Food Network here.  Keep it simple. 

Put a whole chicken or some equivalent chicken parts in a large pot with enough water for the chick to swim in.  Add good spoon of salt.  As the pot comes to a boil, the chicken scum (coagulated protein) will accumulate on the surface of the water.  Skim it off or else the soup will be cloudy.  

Then add a good helping each of carrots, onions and celery.  Parsley is very nice.  Let the whole thing boil/simmer until the chicken is cooked enough to fall off the bone with a little help.  Remove the chicken/parts and de-bone.  Return the meat to the pot.  

I like to add escarole and let that cook a little in the soup.  Taste and add salt if needed.  

Serve with separately cooked rice, pasta or noodles added to the soup.

1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

Looks yummy. And good for these cold winter nights too.