Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Almost Grandma's Parmigiana

Parmigiana, as far as I can tell, is something breaded, sautéed and sprinkled with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Period.  It can be eaten hot or “cold” or taken to a new level with tomato sauce and mozzarella.  Grandma was always frying up some eggplant or cauliflower.  We would eat it at room temperature as a snack or antipasto. Sometimes it made it into a casserole oven baked dish with tomato sauce.  Mom was great at doing the veal.  My cousin Rose thinks killing baby calves for parmigiana is cruel, so I started using chicken.  I guess it’s OK to be cruel to chickens.  Turkey anyone? Combos of these recipes (veal and eggplant especially) take what is great to sublime.


Parmigiana is not as difficult as you might think.  This is a chicken assembly line
Veal or chicken prep: 
            Buy veal or chicken cutlets pre-sliced; or slice whole chicken breasts about a quarter             inch thick.  Pound with a meat mallet if you like.  For eggplant, slice, salt, let sweat on paper towels.

Set up your assembly line as follows - amounts will depend on how much you are making -  this is for about a pound of chicken:
Place some flour (3/4 cup)  in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. 
Beat 2 eggs in another bowl.
Place breadcrumbs (about a cup) in another bowl. 

*Cover the bottom of large skillet with olive oil, over medium high heat.

Flour both sides of a piece of prepared eggplant, veal or chicken by dredging in the flour until well coated.  Then dip both sides into the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs, coating both sides completely.  Sauté* in the olive oil, and turn over when the first side is well browned.  Eggplant will tend to soak up olive oil.  Add more oil as needed.  
*(Alternative method: place breaded cutlets on an oiled cookie sheet, spray with olive oil and bake at 350-375 till browned)

Remove from the skillet and place on paper towels on a large platter and dust generously with grated Parmigiano Reggiano (parmesan) cheese while still hot. The veal and chicken make a great main course as is or layer in a casserole with tomato sauce and top with mozzarella and bake at 375 degrees till the cheese browns.

Saute


Layer with tomato sauce

Top with just a little mozzarella

Serve with garlic bread and veggies, wine.



1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

Looks totally scrumptious. You're doing real good with the step-by-step photos, Frank. Now if you would only start the online ordering service . . . . Grin.