Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Breakfast - Panettone French Toast

Panettone is an (imported) Italian holiday bread with raisins and citron and has so much butter in it and wrapped so well that they will last for several weeks or more and still taste fresh. When our local discount outlet sells them after Christmas for $3.99, (I've seen them at the Italian market for $10 or more) I always buy a few for emergency sweet cravings.  This is partly why Leon and I have put on pounds.  As soon as these are used up, we are definitely going to lose weight.  There's logic in that statement somewhere, I'm sure...
I started using Panettone for French Toast and Bread Pudding before the Barefoot Contessa or Giada did on TV.  Slice the Panettone fairly thick, dip in scrambled egg/milk mixture (don't add sugar or vanilla) and make like French Toast in a skillet with butter.
Top with fresh fruit and a dusting of confectioner's sugar.  Breakfast is Ready! Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Looks awfully good, I hope hubby was pleased.

But I gotta tell ya - years ago one time I was in charge of collecting goodies for a friend's birthday party. Or was it a Christmas party? Whatever - at the grocery I had seen for a long time these big gaudy boxes of that panty-tony stuff. Had no idea what it was, but it looked purty so I grabbed one and took it along to the festivities.

Trouble was, when we unboxed it and sliced it, it was hard and dry. I think we tried dipping it in our after-dinner coffee but that barely softened it.

Did I just get a bad box or what?

Frank said...

Should have been soft and buttery. It had probably been neglected for several years, because you all we're so hesitant about buying it.

Russ Manley said...

You may be right. I have never ever heard tell of anyone else buying or serving that panatitty in these parts. We don't go in for fad foods much down here, we like tried and true cooking that sticks to your ribs.