Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gnocchi di Ricotta

When I was growing up I never heard the word "dumpling" at home.  But I ate plenty of gnocchi (pronounced n'yaw-kee, with the gn having a similar sound as the Spanish ñ) totally unaware that they are a type of dumpling.

Although not strictly regional, "Roman" gnocchi are made with potato and "Florentine" gnocchi are often made with ricotta or a mixture of ricotta and spinach.  Almost all the recipes on line include eggs in the mix, but mom never used eggs.  The dough is simple: about 2 cups or 1 1/2  pounds of ricotta cheese, a little salt, pepper and nutmeg and about 1 1/4 cups of flour a bit at a time while mixing with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.  Then mix by hand until the dough is evenly textured.  You should add flour until you don't feel any wetness in the dough.  It should be soft and light.
Get a big pot of salted water boiling on the stove while you make your gnocchi.
Roll the dough out into long ropes with the palms and fingers on a floured board.  
Cut the rope into about 1 inch sections, and roll each piece in the palm of one hand with two fingers of the other hand and let the gnocchi fall on a floured cookie sheet or large plate. 
Toss the gnocchi into the pot all at once or in two batches.  When the gnocchi float to the top they are done.  Remove with a slotted spoon.  
Serve with tomato sauce, melted butter, or other sauce of your choice.
Dinner's ready.

Just a note on that ricotta cheese in the picture.  The Maulucci family is related to me on my mother's side.  They don't know I exist but they make the best ricotta in this area.

3 comments:

Russ Manley said...

1. I always wondered how you pronounced that word.

2. Looks yummy for sure, but way too much work for unfabulous guys like me.

3. If I was going to make dumplings, which I probably never will, I would do what my little grandmother did: open a can of ordinary biscuits, roll the dough out very flat, cut into strips, and drop into a big bubbling pot of boiling chicken. Probably in her youth she made dumplings from scratch but she wised up later.

4. Chicken and dumplings is one of the finest things you can eat, is there an Italian equivalent?

Russ Manley said...

PS - the family tree doesn't display, can you post a link?

Frank said...

The family tree was an attempt to convert a file to a jpeg, but there are apparently technical issues I con't overcome. There is no link.