Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Roasted Squash Soup and a BETO Sandwich

Zuppa di Zucca Arrostita

This is a hearty soup for a cold January day.  Except for the squash, the ingredients are flexible - depending on what you have on hand.  Roasting the veggies gives them a nice flavor and aroma - and makes a rather bland squash much tastier.

Many recipes add heavy cream or milk.  I find this totally unnecessary and way too heavy on the gut.

But don't be TOO creative!  Make sure the veggies and herbs you choose are compatible.  One thing I don't like is a soup made by an overly zealous cook who uses every spice on the spice rack and the philosophy that "more is better".  Too many out-of-tune instruments in the orchestra can spoil the music...

For this dish I had on hand, a butternut squash, two acorn squash, a half of a fennel (anise), an onion, some carrots, some rosemary from the sunroom and, from the garden a few sage leaves and parsley.  A bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg.  And the all natural, no msg, low fat chicken broth from Aldi's.

I was thrilled to find a few sprigs of parsley (which is a biennial and winter hardy) in the garden because I thought the critters had completely done it in by summer's end when I saw most of it disappear - eaten from underground by the roots.  Ah, the tribulations of a gardener!
Coarsely chop the veggies, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, a chopped sage leaf, a few whole sprigs of rosemary.  Toss and roast in a 375 to 400 degree oven.  (my oven is not exact, so I put it on 425) for about 45 minutes or a bit longer - until the squash is fork tender.  The onion and fennel should be nicely caramelized.

Remove the rosemary from the roasted veggies, then transfer the veggies to a pot.  Add a box of chicken stock (or veggie stock to keep it strictly vegetarian), add chopped fresh parsley and a dash of nutmeg.  Bring to a boil, then simmer over lower heat for ten to fifteen minutes or so.

I do not own a full-size food processor.  I don't have the storage space, don't have the counter space, and for the most part, prefer to "process" the food myself.  I have a small electric "chopper" and this puree thing - an immersible blender.  Just be careful not to remove it while its still spinning!

Puree the veggies.  It's OK if you miss a few chunks.


Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with some good bread.  Maybe a hunk of some nice cheese.  Can anyone suggest a cheese to go with this soup, other than cheddar. Maybe Gruyere or Asiago?  (Just a minute, I'll have to run to the store for that.)


Decided to go with a variation on a BLT for Dinner:  Bacon, Braised Escarole, Tomato, Onion

Fry the bacon, reserve some bacon drippings in the pan, add some chopped garlic, heat on high, add a handful of escarole leaves and braise until the escarole is wilted.  Layer the B,T,E, and O on some nice toasted bread.



 A few little slices of Gouda too.

Dinner's Ready!

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

This looks delicious. Wish I had seen this post sooner. I would have rushed right over.

Russ Manley said...

Roasted squash soup looks good. The ex-roommate makes some tomato bisque soup that's yummy, based on the same principle.

I don't know about the BETO, though. What's escarole, is that like from China or something?

Grin.

Davis said...

Yeah, Rus, escarole can be hard to find - some of our supermarkets carry it others don't - we cook it all year round.

What a great idea for a sandwich!