Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Monday, December 26, 2011

Traditional Christmas Lasagna

We almost always had lasagna for Christmas when mom and dad were with us.

This is a actually a simple dish, but it takes a few minutes to assemble.

Start with a good tomato sauce, we use a meat sauce made with beef or meatballs, sausage and roast pork cooked in tomato/ tomato puree as I've described elsewhere.

This holiday I made three pounds of lasagna, with three pounds of ricotta, a pound and a half of mozzarella  and probably 4 sixteen ounce cans/jars of tomato.  I don't bother with tomato paste as the puree is really fine for the job.  (Tomato paste is really just condensed and preserved tomato puree to reconstitute when making sauce).

In addition to sauce you'll need: Pasta, Ricotta cheese, Eggs (one per pound of ricotta), grated Romano or parmigiano cheese, salt, pepper, dash of nutmeg, shredded mozzarella.  Combine ricotta, eggs, grated cheese, seasoning.  Cook pasta.  Layer sauce, pasta, ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce, pasta, etc.  Top the last layer of pasta with sauce, mozzarella and parmigiano.  Cover with foil and bake at 350.  Lasagna ALWAYS takes longer to heat through than it should.
Note the Ricotta in a tin - the way it used to be sold
before plastic containers
 Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of the assembly or the finished product before it was half gone...



Dessert was Mom's Sour Cream Coffee Cake

5 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Mmmmm, looks so good. In my late teens I used to want to try cooking various *exotic* dishes, so I got a lasagne recipe from a lady at church (using cottage cheese instead of riccota, which nobody knew what that was down here anyway). Well I made up a big pan for me and my (straight) (?) roommate and put it in the oven about an hour before dinnertime. Then I pulled it out and set it on the table and we dug in expectantly . . . only to find that all we had there was lasagne soup!

You are right, it takes a loooong time to bake just right. But when it does, oh my, how grand!

Russ Manley said...

PS - Frank are you aware that Clara Cannuciari has just posted what she says is her very last video? Search for it on YouTube. She's a trip, I have enjoyed watching her little series.

Frank said...

Once when my mom had come home from the hospital our next door neighbor was kind enough to make us a lasagna...with cottage cheese and I think there were boiled egg pieces in there as well...I have the same reaction now as I did then....there is no good substitute for ricotta.

Frank said...

Thanks Russ, I just love Clara. Her comment is so typical expressions of simple faith that I was used to: "God put me here for a reason. I don't know what it is, but he probably does".

Moving with Mitchell said...

Lasagna with cottage cheese? I tremble at the thought! Yours looks and sounds perfect. And Mom's sour cream coffee cake. My mouth is watering.