Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Monday, January 30, 2012

Cavolfiore alla Nonna

My grandma used to make cauliflower like this, except that she cooked it a bit in boiling water first, then breaded it and fried it in a skillet like eggplant.  I am trying to be a bit healthier so I did not boil out the nutrients and I used olive oil to coat a baking sheet and sprayed the cauliflower with canola oil spray before putting it in the oven.  (You know, of course, it tastes better fried.)

This can be an antipasto (appetizer) or a contorni (side dish).

I must be in my flour-egg-breadcrumb phase, because that's what you need to make this antipasto.  Wash and deconstruct the cauliflower into florets and halve them if necessary to get like-size pieces.  Dredge the pieces in seasoned (salt and pepper) flour, dip into beaten egg, then roll in and coat with Italian breadcrumbs to which you have added some good spoonfuls of parmesan cheese.  Place on baking sheet and into the oven at 375 for 30 minutes or until tender and browned slightly.

Flour-Egg-Parmesan/Breadcrumb the Florets
Place on baking sheet
Bake until tender and brown 
Mangia!

2 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Okay, this is the only recipe I've ever seen that *possibly* could make cauliflower enticing. When I was a kid, they used to serve plain boiled cauliflower at lunch sometimes. Gag me with a spoon!

Sounds even better as a way to fry eggplant, which I dearly love.

Frank said...

Definitely the same method for eggplant.