Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken Fried Steak

Well, this isn't pretty, but it is tasty.  Definitely a comfort food.  You can google for various recipes.

Basically take a cubed steak and dredge it in seasoned (use salt and plenty of black pepper) flour and egg a few times and then pan fry it in enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.

Use the drippings for gravy (a few tablespoons of flour, chicken stock, some milk).  I sautéed some mushrooms in the oil first to make a mushroom gravy.

Pour this over the steak and a hill of mashed potatoes.
Not pretty, but tasty
There are some green beans on the table too.

Dinner's ready.

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

OK. This is one of those things I can never bring myself to try. Down-home food from a place that wasn't home to me. I had never even heard of it until I was in my 30s. You make it sound good.

Frank said...

Yeah, it's not the down-home I grew up in either, but we've had it at restaurants and "usually" enjoyed it, although it can be tough and greasy in some places. Personally, I'd prefer the cubed steaks, if I have them at all, done like veal milanese or parmigiana. Use some nice Italian breadcrumbs and saute lightly in olive oil and butter. But once in a while Leon likes a chicken fried steak...

Russ Manley said...

OH MAN, now you're talking my language. You know this is like the national dish of Texas, don't you? Every restaurant that's not a fast-food joint has this at the top of the menu. Fried crisp and crunchy on the outside, and melt-away tender on the inside, with plenty of pan gravy to go over it . . . you can't beat that with a stick. I tell you what.

Damn, Frank, now I'm raving hungry for a CFS and it's only 10:30 in the morning! Hope Leon enjoyed his, sure looks mighty good.