Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Variation on Grandma's "Aglio e Olio"

Grandma made "agghiu ogghiu" (proper italian: aglio e olio; translation:garlic and oil) with spaghetti.  Simple and one of my favorites.  My aunt added anchovies. This version has veggies so it's so much better for you.  This serves 4 to 6.

In the time it takes to boil pasta:

Get 5 or 6 hot Italian sausages frying in the skillet.

Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.

Peel 4 or 5 garlic cloves and put them into a small skillet with several tablespoons of olive oil, (up to 1/4 to 1/3 cup) and let them all sizzle, (add hot pepper flakes if you like),  let the garlic get a little brown but not burnt.

Wash and cut up three small heads of broccoli.

Add the pasta to the boiling water -  I like farfalle (bow ties, literally butterflies).

In another pot put a half an inch or so of water, bring to a boil and add the broccoli, cover and steam for a few minutes till cooked but still a little crunchy (al dente).

Cut the sausages into bite size pieces.

Drain the pasta, toss in the broccoli, the oil and garlic and the sausage pieces.

Serve with parmesan cheese of course.

4 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Looks yummy, a great summer dinner dish.

Which reminds me, my first husband introduced me to Italian sausage - what a great invention. For years afterward, I would fry some to add to the pot when I made spaghetti. Gave it a wonderful flavor.

Craig said...

God that looks good. Even the broccoli looks good and I'm its biggest fan.

Frank said...

But of course!

Bob said...

Quick and easy, but sounds delish.