Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Friday, February 25, 2011

Pasta alla Carbonara con Portabella and a side of Broccoli Rabe

This will probably be the last post for a while...I won't be cooking while on vacation.

OK boys, before you start getting hung up on the Eye-talian words, how does pasta with bacon and eggs grab ya?  alla Carbonara means "Charcoal Maker's Style".  Now I don't know any charcoal makers, and we haven't used the stuff since getting a gas grill.  But supposedly these charcoal makers came home from work and all they had was a hunk of pancetta to go with their pasta.

The broccoli rabe is a bitter green vegetable with broccoli florets and leaves.  It is a type of broccoli but the strong flavor may not appeal to everyone.  I just saute garlic in olive oil (does it seem like 90% of my cooking begins with olive oil and garlic?) then toss in the broccoli rabe after cutting off the tough stems, with a little water and let it steam for a few minutes.  (This veggie goes good with Italian sausage).
Broccoli Rabe
Well,  back to the pancetta - the Italian "bacon" that is NOT smoked.  If you use smoked bacon, just forget it, I won't talk to you. This recipe is based on an old cookbook "the Romagnoli's Table" by Margaret and Franco Romagnoli where the Carbonara recipe is not adulterated with heavy cream like you find in many Italian restaurants.  Way too heavy on the stomach.  Margaret actually called for salt pork rather than pancetta because, when the book was written, you couldn't find pancetta anywhere in the USA outside of maybe New York or Chicago.  But, definitely use pancetta, it is delectable and salty, but not overly salty.  
Pancetta, sliced at the deli
Baby Portabella Mushrooms - sorry for the blurrrrr
I used the following for my Carbonara:
2-3 pieces of garlic
olive oil
1/4 pound pancetta, sliced and diced
1/4 pound Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
Fresh ground Black Pepper
13 oz box of Whole Grain Linguine
2 eggs beaten with a few grinds of black pepper added

Just added

Nicely cooked
Get your spaghetti pot of salted water on to boil. 
Put olive oil in the trusty cast iron skillet, add the garlic over high heat for a few minutes.
Add the pancetta and the mushrooms, saute until the pancetta begins to brown but not too crispy.
When the water boils, add the pasta (spaghetti is traditional, but I used "healthy" whole grain linguini) and cook until "al dente" according to the box directions.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, vigorously beat 2 eggs with some fresh ground pepper until foamy.
When the pasta is done, quickly drain and add the pasta while very hot to the bowl with the beaten eggs.  Toss IMMEDIATELY to "cook" the eggs with the hot pasta; add the pancetta and mushrooms with any oil from the pan and toss again, to coat the pasta with the "sauce".
Tossed

Serve with grated parmigiano reggiano.  Dinner's Ready!


6 comments:

Russ Manley said...

I am SO glad you translated that title, I never would have figured that out.

Now the pancetta looks like something the Pork Boys could get into big time, wonder if they sell it down here on the prairie. Don't know about the raw eggs and spaghetti . . . but I can smell the bacon and garlic and mushrooms frying. I'd give it a try.

Frank said...

I know what you mean about raw eggs, I don't usually go for any recipes that use them, but don't be afraid of the raw eggs here. If you get that pasta right out of boiling water and the colander and into the eggs, they will actually "cook". You can see it.

And NO SMOKED BACON, ya hear?

Russ Manley said...

Yessir . . . even though it does sound like heresy to my Southern ears. Smoked bacon, smoked ham, smoked sausage . . . we love it all. In fact till you started talking about it, I truly didn't realize they made pork products any other way! Is that legal?

Davis said...

Oh, go on a try it, Russ, we do it all the time and it's great!

Anonymous said...

not sure you check on old posts, but I'll comment anyway...
thank you so much for posting this. I used to love watching Romagnoli's Table and when I searched for Franco's delightfully simple recipe, up came your blog.
Thanks a lot, from me and my family who will be enjoying this tonight!!!

Frank said...

Thank you, anonymous, for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your Carbonara!