Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

First Greens of the Season

 Sometimes food makes me happy. Especially when it comes from the garden. 

Especially when gardening here in New Mexico is such a challenge, what with the cold nights, the extremely hot days, the poor soil, the drought, the squirrels, the insects. Did I mention the blistering sun?



Today I was able to gather a good bunch of assorted greens: Swiss chard, kale, and spinach. This was all a substitute for my usual escarole. With a little variation, the Italian bean and pork hock minestra was excellent. 

At the last minute I decided that homemade potato gnocchi would go well with the soup. 

And, yes, it made me happy. 

Spinach, Swiss chard, kale. Extra virgin olive oil, garlic, peperoncini (hot pepper). cooked together. Pork hock, boiled. Cannellini beans, ceci (garbanzo beans), black pepper. Simmer for a couple of hours or more.

Potato gnocchi.

Serve together. Be Happy.




3 comments:

Russ Manley said...

OMG, now you're talking! Beans and hamhock, and a nice mess of greens - all that's missing is a pan of hot cornbread, and you got some mighty fine eatin' there, buddy. Maybe your cucina ain't so different from ours, after all. Grin.

Frank said...

I’ve done beans and greens here before, usually with escarole which is generally quite pathetic here in New Mexico. This may be my one and only harvest of greens this season but I am hoping that the Swiss chard will keep producing if it can survive the critters. If you ever get to NM I’d be privileged to have you join us for dinner.

Russ Manley said...

We've often wondered what you all would think of our cuisine. At this late age, I don't know that I will ever travel again, but if I ever do get to NM I will certainly keep your kind invitation in mind, good buddy.