Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Stuffing and Dinner Rolls

Spent the afternoon making rolls and stuffing.

The stuffing is a bread (whatever kind I have, air or oven dried and cubed), ground beef, pork sausage (breakfast sausage) mixture that is a tradition in our family. Sorry no chestnuts here.

I am making extra stuffing, because you can never have enough of a good thing. The problem with stuffing cooked outside the bird is that it does not get the flavor from the turkey. So tomorrow, after stuffing the turkey, I will see how I'm going to handle the extra. Maybe pour some turkey drippings over it while cooking.

I used butter, oil, 1 large onion, 2.5 lb. ground beef, 1 lb. sausage, about 8-10 cups of bread cubes, 4 eggs, salt, pepper, Scarborough Fair (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) and, this year a little Bells Seasoning.
Oil and Butter
I start with a little oil and butter in the skillet and add the chopped onion. Let it cook until translucent - don't brown the onion. Add the ground beef and saute until the pink is gone. Don't over cook. Remove the meat and saute the sausage. Set aside the meats with pan drippings.
Saute Onion
Sausage and Ground Beef
Saute the Beef
And the Sausage
Cube up dried sliced bread or rolls or breads that have been dried in the oven. Add the meats with pan drippings, eggs, salt, pepper, herbs and spices and mix together.
Bread Chunks
New This Year - An Old Fashioned Spice Mix
Toss the Meats and Bread With the Egg and Herbs
And on to the rolls.  I've done bread dough before, so won't go into it. (see side bar for links to bread posts)
It Makes Me Happy When the Dough Rises Nicely
Forming Bread Knots
A Little Egg Wash to Make the Sesame Seeds Stick
Sage Is Nice With Turkey Too
Sesame
Sage
Two Rolls Are Already Missing
(Me and My Sis Couldn't Resist)

1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

A meat dressing, how interesting. Down here, we tend not to use meat but make cornbread dressing or better yet, oyster dressing. What doesn't fit into the bird you pack around it in the roasting pan, where it sops up plenty of juices.

But of course every family has its own ideas of what a proper dressing/stuffing is. In North Texas, they think dressing is something cooked in a separate dish that looks and tastes damn near identical to cornbread . . . very dry cornbread. Which is not at all how my mama, who was from East Texas (a whole 'nother state) made it.

Yours looks good though, and I can just smell those lovely hot rolls. Enjoy yourselves.