Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Saturday, April 9, 2011

UK Trip Nostalgia - Scones for Breakfast

No-Recipe Scones

Crawled out of bed this morning to make the coffee and thought how nice a scone would be to go with.

Couldn't be bothered looking up a recipe on the net, so gave it my best shot on the fly, so to speak.

Let's see, about 2 cups of flour, some baking powder, a couple spoons of sugar, a little salt, oh, three quarters of a stick of butter, just barely melted, enough milk to make a stiff biscuit dough and some dried cranberries and raisins.  Mix, form into a round and cut into wedges.  Bake at 375 to 400 (with my oven, I never really know for sure). 25 minutes later:


They were quite good.  Now at a cafe in London you get ONE scone with your coffee.  You're not likely to order another at a pound, fifty or more (over  $3).  Here at home we can sit and eat them like potato chips.

And we wonder why we can't loose weight!

7 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Baking scones on the fly.. I'm very impressed. (I couldn't do it with a recipe.) Wish I had known. I would have been there. And I would have brought the clotted cream and lemon curd. They look so good!

Russ Manley said...

I have always wondered exactly what a scone was. Thanks for the update, sounds yummy.

Pronounced scone or scahn?

Frank said...

Actually, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've had scones that are so dry and tasteless that I wished I'd ordered a jelly donut instead.

Go on line and find a variety of scone recipes: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and (butter) milk. Not unlike the biscuits made with Bisquick or Jiffy Mx.

I think the Brits have so few ethnic foods that something like a scone get elevated to the status of a delicacy. Now that I've infuriated the Brits and their admirers all over the world....

Davis said...

Scones (pronounced scons) can be great - light and fluffy or stiff as a board. I love them but the homemade ones are usually better than what passes for them at Starbucks...

Moving with Mitchell said...

Maybe what makes them so good is the lemon curd and clotted cream. But, I love them and yours look especially good (but you are right, I've also had those dry and tasteless varieties).

Craig said...

I'm a Brit and to be honest I can take or leave scones. There are more bad ones out there than good ones. Having said that, yours look very good.

Frank said...

Craig, I take that as the highest compliment.